In early 1946, there was a discussion between Thomas D. Cooper (Tom) and Emerson T. Sanders (Curly),
Relating to the formation of a new Country Club. There were two definite views for a new club from the members of the old Piedmont Country Club, which existed until 1945. Some wanted a Championship 18-hole golf course, with swimming, tennis, and a full service clubhouse, while others wanted a 9-hole course with no other facilities or amenities. Even through the opposition, Tom and Curly won their battle, and thus began Alamance Country Club.
The Club has been through many changes since that day in 1946 and has become one of the best Clubs in North Carolina, and even the South. Our premier golf course was designed by Donald Ross of Pinehurst, who was considered the best golf course architect in the United States. The course went through a complete renovation in 1999 under the guidance of Robert Cupp. Mr. Cupp used the original Ross plans throughout the renovation process.
Over the past six decades the Club has grown and changed into what it is today. We thank Tom Cooper for his dream, and we continue to appreciate his vision to make Alamance Country Club the best.